For students who successfully complete Realising Opportunities (RO):
- All partner universities will give additional consideration to an application to them through UCAS*
- Many partner universities will give an alternative offer worth up to two A level grades or equivalent.*
*Valid only on successful completion of RO.
The RO Recognition Guide provides more information about the additional consideration and recognition given by RO Partner universities to RO students when they apply via UCAS.
While completing Realising Opportunities students will:
- Increase their knowledge about research intensive universities and what they can offer students.
- Have increased access to, and support from, all 15 partner universities – all research intensive universities.
- Develop skills in areas such as critical thinking, evaluation, analysis, planning and research through taking the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) or Academic Assignment. Taking one of these elements will also give students valuable research experience.
- Receive support from a dedicated, trained, undergraduate ementor in a secure online environment. Ementors guide students through an interactive support programme allowing students to ask questions, receive information on higher education and UCAS processes, and encouragement with exam and revision techniques. Students also have full access to the Knowledge Bank which is packed full of useful resources!
- Have the opportunity to attend a wide range of events and activities at the 15 Realising Opportunities partner universities, with support for travel costs available with prior arrangement. Events include summer schools, subject specific taster days, master classes, open days and more! Events allow students to see the university for themselves and have the opportunity to ask questions and meet current students. They will also attend a launch event at their local host university and the National Student Conference.
- Students will have access to skills4uni, an online study skills module which will help develop their planning and independent research skills, as well as giving a realistic look at university-level work.
- Receive additional support and guidance with regard to accessing the professions.
To find out more about the benefits of RO and the recognition partner universities give to students who are participating in RO download a copy of the RO Recognition Guide.
You can also have a look at this video, created by the University of York, to see what past students have said about the benefits of the RO programme.